Hawai‘i Island Film Office, as part of the County of Hawai‘i Department of Research and Development, was established to promote and market Hawai‘i Island as a film destination to filmmakers worldwide and to be a resource for productions while assuring regard for the people and environment of Hawai‘i Island.
Hawai‘i Island Film Office acts as liaison between government agencies, production companies, and Hawai‘i Island community while providing assistance to productions free of charge. The Film Office will make available a directory of qualified film industry personnel and support services and assist with permitting.
General and location information is easily accessible to all filmmakers on Hawai‘i Island Film Office website at www.hawaiiislandfilm.com. There you will find a comprehensive location library, permitting information, crew resources and production support companies.
Approximately 150 productions, both big and small, come to experience Hawai‘i Island every year. Credits have included features, television shows, documentaries, commercials and print productions from over 15 countries.
Contact us by phone or email, so we can assist you in having a successful filming experience…and we’ll do it with aloha.
Depending on specific needs, the Film Office can provide these services to assist in a smooth running production:
- General information about “getting around” on Hawai‘i Island
- Who to call to get things done
- Where things are located
- Guidance on sensitive cultural, environmental. and historical issues and protocols
- Hawai‘i Island events, activities, and cultural treasures
- Locations jurisdictions, access, and contacts
- Scouting arrangements and facilitation
- Referrals to professional and experienced location scouts and managers
- Referrals to other local crew and technical personnel
- Recommendations to “film friendly” accommodations and other support service providers
- Liaison between other film offices, government agencies, and community organizations
- All aspects of permitting and production liability insurance requirements
Assistance with the 25% refundable state tax credit